Ideas on Design (IOD) New Star Design Awards is a core program in the Design Foundation’s strategy to build design capability. The Awards aim to discover and celebrate outstanding emerging design talent from around the world. NewStar Design Awards is an integrated International Award program providing an opportunity to expand the knowledge, skills and experience of our rising design stars on the global stage and expand their international perspectives and networks. NewStar exposes emerging designers work through public exhibition on a dedicated online platform that is promoted to industry, with the aim of supporting their career pathways. Opportunities will be explored for selected winners to be matched with appropriate industry partners in Foshan, China and design mentors to realize their design concepts and promote effective collaboration between design and industry.
IOD NewStar is in its 26th year and the 2018 program has been launched in Foshan, China in partnership with 91 Ant, with support from the Government of Dali Town and Nanfang Daily. The launch of NewStar follows the successful introduction of the IOD International Design and Business Forums into China in 2017.
Dali Town is a key centre for commerce and trade within the Pearl River Delta Region. Located in the hub of the Guangzhou-Foshan area and the heart of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay area. Dali Town has developed rapidly due to strong manufacturing and commerce and is at the forefront of development in China. It is an exciting collaboration that will build an integrated award program based in Dali Town with some of the world’s most advanced manufacturing and commercial capabilities, with some of the world’s best designers, and new talent.
Emerging designers are invited to submit their best design concepts. The winners are selected from the shortlist by internationally acclaimed designers who have been part of the ldeasonDesign Speaker alumni. ldeas on Design draws on the experience and networks built over 27 years presenting design and business programs, including agldeas. agldeas is recognised as one of the most well respected design events in the world.
The NewStar Design Awards have been carefully designed to craft an integrated award program that offers more than accolades and plaques. All finalists win a travel scholarship to Foshan, China, to attend the finalist defense in front of the international judging panel. This includes flights and accommodation from anywhere in the world.
Outstanding Design Award
The winners from each category will receive the Outstanding Design Award receive an additional travelling scholarship to build international networks, including introductions to international studios and folio reviews. Plus, all the following benefits awarded to recipients of the Excellence in Design Award.
Excellence in Design Award
Selected finalists will win an Excellence in Design Award and will receive the following benefits:
- Concept Realisation and Industry Collaboration: NewStar Design Awards has established partnerships with more than 10 venture capital companies, incubation platforms manufacturing enterprises and Government agencies. Selected entrants will be provided with opportunities to connect with venture capitalists, product incubators and intellectual property auctions in Southern China, with the potential for mentoring support from global design leaders.
- Special Project Winners: Special assistance will be given to finalists of the Special Projects Categories. These finalists will be introduced to relevant commercial enterprises with recommendations from the organising committee to achieve efficient cooperation between designers and industries.
- Award Ceremony: All finalists will be invited to attend the award ceremony in Foshan, China, June 30, 2018.
- Exhibition: Entries will be included in the NewStar Design Awards 2018 exhibition.
- IOD International Design Forum: Entrants will be invited to attend the next IOD International Design Conference held in China, which provides participants opportunities to meet and learn from global design masters, local design industry and representatives from academic institutions and media introductions.
- Media Exposure: NewStar has a global PR program across different industries and channels with more than 100 media outlets. Finalist presentations during the second round of judging will be recorded and used as part of the PR strategy.
- Trophies and Certificates: Award recipients will receive a trophy and a certificate.