BEng (Hons), PhD, MBADirector: Design Research Institute
Research + Innovation
Low Emission and Cellular Materials, Low Energy Accelerated Processing, Innovation Management, Research Leadership Biography
Prior to joining RMIT as Director of the Design Research Institute, Dr Mak was the Future Manufacturing Flagship Director, responsible for deciding research priorities, overseeing a large and diverse portfolio of research projects, managing multiple partnerships and collaborations across industry, government and academia. Dr Mak’s research career focused on the development of environmentally sustainable materials and manufacturing processes, include green/low-emission materials; cellular materials, protective materials and low energy accelerated processing.He has extensive experience in innovation management, commercialisation and the transfer of technology to industry.
From 2006 until 2008 he was a Director of HySSIL P/L an Australian technology company established to commercialise a range of advanced cellular and low carbon footprint materials developed by CSIRO. He has extensive experience in innovation management, commercialisation and the transfer of technology to industry, and has provided expert advice and R&D services to many companies in Australia and overseas.
In addition to his research leadership he also has experience leading strategic business development and partnerships across a wide spectrum from Australian Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to global multi-nationals, industry organisations, government and academia.
- Director Future Manufacturing National Research Flagship, CSIRO 2010-2015
- Deputy Chief (Industry), Materials Science and Engineering, CSIRO 2007–2010
- Theme Leader, Process Technologies, CSIRO 2004–2007
Awards and Citations
- Current member of the Technical Working Group of the Prime Minister’s Manufacturing Task Force
- Director of the Victorian Centre for Advanced Materials Manufacturing (VCAMM)
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Board Member of the Victorian Direct Manufacturing Centre (DMC)
- Senior Fellow, University of Melbourne, Australia
- CSIRO Medal for Business Excellence, 2009
- Williamson Fellowship from Leadership Victoria, 2008
- Former Director of the Concrete Institute of Australia and ex-President of its Victorian Branch.