PhD(Comm), MA(Ad/Comm), Dip(ArtDes), Cert IV(Training & Assessment)Contract Lecturer
Academy of Design Australia
RMIT University Research Expertise
Advertising Design, Creative Performance and Productivity, Visual Literacy and Communication, Creative Workplace Training and Management Biography
Dr Jill Powell has over twenty years of international experience as an advertising art director, designer, creative recruiter and talent manager, creative trainer and university educator (Australia, New Zealand, UK, USA, Taiwan, Thailand).Masters (1997) and doctoral (2011) theses investigated creative workplace practices in multinational advertising agencies in the USA, UK and Australasia.Jill has served on academic boards and industry committees in Australia, New Zealand, US and Japan. She has worked extensively with industry and external partners in Australia setting up interdisciplinary, sector and partner education initiatives. Industry Experience
Previously, full-time and freelance designer/advertising art director/copywriter in advertising agencies in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Taiwan. Agencies include: Clemenger BBDO, DDB, DMB&B, JWT and Leo Burnett
- Creative recruitment and talent management:
Previously, founding partner/director of The Talent Store, Australia’s first agency specialising in creative staff placement. Represented over 300 of Australia’s top advertising/design/production talent
Previously, Program Director of undergraduate Advertising programs at RMIT University.
- Previously, full-time/contract lecturer/senior lecturer in short/diploma/ undergraduate/honours/masters courses in advertising, copywriting, creative thinking, design, design management and marketing, professional practice, visual communication and visual literacy.
- RMIT University and Academy of Design (Australia); AUT, Unitec and Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design (New Zealand); Assumption University (ABAC) (Thailand); University of West London (UK). The Communications Council AdSchool (Australia)
- Freelance photojournalist
Awards and Citations:
- RMIT University Vice – Chancellor’s Award for Research Excellence
- Certificate of Achievement, Category C – Awards for Programs that Enhance Learning – Partnerships and Collaborations (2008)